Friday, July 15, 2005

A Pen


 

A Pen


by Ryan Billington
Written in the summer of 2005


Meaningless scribbles, a pen in the hand
Neither understanding nor fathoming the depth or use it holds
A purpose it has, a brush for the Master’s piece
Resting in the scars
But to what end is it that I write?
Uncontrolled existence, chaos fills the purpose
Poetry, prose, arithmetic, or account
I know I am held but for what?
Does ink even flow from this mind that consumes me?
Thoughts forever flowing, but from the Source or the stone?
Pride in use, purpose, Maker—not self
Confidence, assurity in what dirt contains
Jar of clay or piece of shale,
To what end have I been formed?
To some a crown and to some a fork
Both from silver vein
But in the end, its purpose served, both shall melt away
For what makes it last and fulfill purpose laid
Is the Maker not the clay
And so I sit a pen, this lump of mud
Unsure, unstable, confident, assured
A pen resting in the Master’s scars

No comments:

Post a Comment